Monday, November 14, 2011

Morgan Winslow Young

On January 2, 2006, in the Deep Creek area of Chesapeake, Virginia, two Mormon Missionaries, who were going door to door, were gunned down at about 6:00 p.m., eastern standard time (dusk), on a public street by 19-year-old James Rickey Boughton, Jr. One of the missionaries, Morgan Winslow Young, died from his wounds. Boughton was arrested Wednesday. He is charged with first-degree murder, malicious wounding, attempted malicious wounding and three counts of using a gun during the commission of those felonies. 

The following article was posted on the website of the local television station
Man Shoots Two Mormons Going Door To Door

POSTED: 7:57 am EST January 3, 2006

CHESAPEAKE, Va. -- A Mormon missionary going door to door was fatally shot Monday night and a fellow missionary was wounded by an assailant who fled, police said.

The attacks happened just after 6 p.m. in the Deep Creek area of the city, police said, when a man approached the two, shot them and ran away.

One of the victims ran to a nearby nursing home seeking help, police said.

The missionaries were identified by church spokesmen Dale Bills and Michael Purdy as Elders Morgan Young, 21, of Bountiful, Utah, and Joshua Heidbrink of Greeley, Colo. Chesapeake police said he is 19.

They were taken to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where Young later died, spokeswoman Cheri Hinshelwood said. Heidbrink was upgraded to good condition Tuesday morning, she said.

Police described the gunman as a black male about 5 feet 10 inches . They said he was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and denim jeans.

Police shut down part of the neighborhood while searching for the man.

"This is close to home," said Bobby Gatling, who said he has lived on the block for two years. "Nothing like this has ever happened here before."

There was no immediate word on what prompted the shootings.

The following article appeared on the website of the local television station, Hampton Roads, News Channel 3:
Search Warrant Reveals Details Surrounding Missionary Shooting
Jan 6, 2006, 08:10 PM EST Site Features

Search Warrant Reveals More About Missionary's Murder

The young man accused of shooting two missionaries, killing one has even more legal problems than we first thought.

19-year-old James Boughton, Jr appeared in court again on Friday. This time, it had nothing to do with the missionary shootings.

Boughton is facing felony drug charges in another case. The judge set that trial date for February 14th. Meanwhile documents filed late Friday in Chesapeake Circuit Court give us a better idea of just what happened the night 21 year old Morgan Young was murdered.

Gregory Lamont Banks Jr, told police that he and Boughton were fighting about six o'clock Monday night near Elkhardt Street.

Banks says Boughton broke free, pulled out a gun and fired one time at him. Banks said he pretended he was dead and Boughton ran off, but seconds later Banks heard two or three more shots.

Banks says he got up, just in time to see missionary Joshua Heidbrink running in his direction. He says Heidbrink had been shot, so he helped him get to the nursing home across the street where someone called 911.

When police arrived, they found 21 year old Morgan Young lying in the street. Tracking dogs were brought out to the scene and police recovered a skull cap and a sweatshirt that Boughton would later admit were probably his.

Boughton also told police he was in the vicinity of Elkhardt Street about the same time the shots were fired. James Boughton is currently being held in the Chesapeake jail, without bond.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting.

If you have any names of victims that belong here, please email me at